[Osmf-talk] Upcoming Special General Meeting Opinions?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:30:23 UTC 2014

On 28 November 2014 at 18:44, Tim Waters <chippy2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could we perhaps seek to start the discussion about this
> meeting before the last minute, and at least before proxy voting starts?

Hi Tim,

>From my point of view, I'm quite happy with the idea of term limits.
To me it's an effective way to ensure diversity over time - without
limits, we are likely see the same faces over and over, and also I
worry about why it's usually newish board members who resign or don't
seek re-election when the incumbents manage to stay on. So I'm in
favour of Special Resolution 1.

Special Resolution 2 - the get out clause - I'm unsure on this one. It
seems nice to let people come back to the board after a break, but I'm
not sure that it's necessary. As Frederik points out there's plenty of
things in the OSMF and OSM to keep even the most enthusiastic people
busy without having to be on the board, and I'd be disappointed to
find future board made up of mostly second-time-arounders. Given we
already have several hundred members, we're not going to struggle to
find 2-3 good ones to stand each year.

Normal Resolution - the call for an election. I'm opposed to this. I
don't want to see the upheaval of a whole new board and all the loss
of knowledge and general mucking around that will come with it. I'm
happy to give our current board a chance, and see how things work now
that this organisation is awakening from its slumber. And I look
forward to new faces at the next regular election later in 2015. I
also think that a whole new round of elections will just fatigue the
membership further, while distracting us from making real progress.

So I'm yes to SR1, maybe to SR2, and no to the election.

Thanks,
Andy