[Osmf-talk] Upcoming Special General Meeting Opinions?

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Wed Dec 3 15:29:44 UTC 2014

On 02 Dec 2014, at 11:25, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> On 28.11.2014 20:54, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> * If this leads to a new election and the need to find new board members
>> to replace those who are above their limits, fair enough - nobody on the
>> board is indispensable, nor should anybody be, an the last election
>> featured a number of promising candidates who up to now never had
>> participated in board work.
>
> I'm not so sure about that. In past elections, I've often failed to find
> three candidates whom I could wholeheartedly support. And finding "good"
> candidates (i.e. those palatable for a large number of voters) is bound
> to become even more difficult if we specifically exclude candidates that
> have proven to be popular among the electorate.

I have different issue: most people standing up for the board are passionate and active OSM advocates and usually most of them deserve a seat. So I often find it difficult not to vote for them. Mostly the only reason not to vote for somebody is when I do not know he or she in person. But that’s my problem - I can always learn more about candidate, ask even direct questions etc. So the problem is that some of the perfect candidates tend to be quite quiet.

> For this reason, and because I believe that the OSMF membership can and
> will vote against incumbents, I don't like the idea of term limits.

Frederik has said it well: the problem is that incumbents have always unfair advantage. It is not really that no-one is voting against them, the advantage can be subtle, but big enough so from 2 quite similar candidates incumbent will win. Seating board members will always get more “fame” or/and access to resources to gain popular support. That’s why country presidents have also term limits, and need to leave behind even if they have popular support and often seem to be “the best” candidates. Look to some countries where there is no effective term limit and same president comes back like Terminator - no organisation wants to be like them for sure.

Btw, what is the alternative to the ordinary resolution - when the next GM and elections will be when the GM call resolution will not pass?

p.s. Specific question to Simon - is it true that the whole affair is just to remove certain people from the board? If so, whom and why?

Jaak