[Osmf-talk] Another consideration about the current voting

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Dec 4 18:54:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Frank Steggink <steggink at steggink.org> wrote:
> Dear list,

[ ... ]

> Guess
> who is handling these applications? Our membership secretary! He has the
> "power" to speed up certain applications, especially if he can safely assume
> the applicant will vote against SR1 and the OR. He also has the "power" to
> block other applications. It's December right now, and it's pretty cold in
> the Netherlands, so it's easy to "catch the flu" (or being hit by flying
> candy ;) ).

Hold it.  Frank lives in a magical place where candy is thrown?  Yes.
Yes he does! [1]  :-)

On a serious note.  I trust Henk to execute his duties as membership
secretary responsibly.  He has done so in the recent AGM, and is doing
so leading up to the GM.[2]  While any person in such a position could
attempt misbehaviour, our membership secretary does not strike me as
such a person. Also, as I understand it, others have access to the
membership email in case of emergency[3].  If several members were to
notice a problem, I expect they would say so.

Now, a quick scan of this list suggests that Henk will be so bold as
to write emails to this list and state his opinion in a persuasive
manner. But this is OpenStreetMap and that sort of thing happens once
in a while.  :-)

Best regards and happy mapping,

Richard

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas#Arrival_from_Spain_.28Intocht.29
[2] I'm one of the scrutineers for both the recent AGM and the current GM
[3] I think that most everything in OpenStreetMap Foundation has some
sort of backup against serious illness. I've been reassured about
everything I've thought to ask about.