[Osmf-talk] Reinvigorating working groups. Join in!

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Dec 8 21:07:40 UTC 2014

There have been recent discussions about reinvigorating various
OpenStreetMap Foundation Working Groups.

Recent board minutes indicated the membership management would be
moved from a board position membership secretary to a working group
format.[1]

Michael Collinson spoke [2] of his interest in seeing new people and
more people participating in Working Groups, based on his experiences
and earlier work by Matt Amos.

I wrote recently[3] about who might join a working group, why, and
what they might be able to offer a working group.  Shortly after I
published that, Jono Bacon tweeted an image that struck me as helpful,
inspirational and super appropriate for OpenStreetMap.  So, I wrote
about that as well.  [4]

In addition to the new membership WG, there will be announcements for
others.  Michael Collinson spoke of the need for more participation in
LWG and if I remember correctly MT[5].  There will be at least one
more, shortly, but it isn't mine to announce. :-)

Best regards and happy mapping,

Richard[6]

tl;dr

You do not have to be an expert, or know all of the answers, to be
valuable to a working group. You can join armed only with enthusiasm,
though organizational skills and communication skills are a benefit.

[1] http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2014-11-20#Membership_Secretary
[2] earlier on this osmf-talk@ list
[3] http://weait.com/working-groups-1
[4] http://weait.com/on-ramp
[5] corrections and clarifications welcome, of course.
[6] who previously participated in several working groups at various times.