[Osmf-talk] OSMF Governance - Directors (was: 'OSMF Members Request for a General Meeting)

Johan & Marguerite textline at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:09:30 UTC 2014

I don't know which thread it was, but I thought Frederik had written that
it is confusing to have the same person in both the board and a working
group. Possibly Simon also refers to the same. The advantage of splitting
tasks (no board member in a working group) is that board members can focus
on strategic tasks, whereas working groups are, as it's in their name,
operational. Second advantage is that this segregation of duties will lead
to less misunderstandings of what role a person is in.  A third advantage
is that it will cost board members less time. And a fourth is that it will
create a split between suggestion for a policy and decision making on a
policy. The LWG is a nice example for this.

A disadvantage could be that the distance between the board and the working
groups increases. That can be solved by eliminating the intermediate layer,
the management team. Thus the OSMF membership gives a mandate to the
board, the board directly gives mandates to working groups, whereas working
groups have to report back to the board and the board reports back to the
OSMF membership which is in charge of the strategic direction and
operational tasks of OSMF.

Other opinions?

Cheers, Johan

Op woensdag 12 november 2014 heeft Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> het