[Osmf-talk] OSMF Members Request for a General Meeting

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Nov 15 01:27:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 11/14/2014 10:34 PM, Steve Coast wrote:
> There’s not a lot to say, I mean the guy with the most votes
> campaigned for the foundation not to exist and told the board that
> all companies are evil.

[*] Citation needed

At least I didn't campaign for abolishing osmf-talk and replacing it
with a fully moderated forum, or else you'd certainly be called to
order. Portraying Simon as someone who'd act as a straw man for his
"buddies" is just the kind of insult that I thought you'd have wanted to
get rid of.

If I had been able to influence Simon's actions then I'd certainly have
made him stay on as a chairman because I thought he was doing a very
decent job at it.

The term limit is an idea whose time has come, and not a sinister plot
to remove good people. If it is any consolation to you, the term limit
will also remove me from office in two years' time. I will never be able
accrue as many years on the board as you have (or Henk, or Oliver, for
that matter). Nonetheless I think it's good.

I haven't drawn up this resolution but I like and support it, both for
its contents and for the process; I want OSMF to be a vivid democracy
where the membership asserts itself and doesn't unquestioningly hand
things off to a board of directors.

I would even have supported a full board "reboot" as it was discussed on
the list, had someone drawn up a proposal for that.

Other than that I think you simply need to calm down a little. You
proposed your ideas to the membership in great detail and they were
rejected by a relatively large margin. It was a fair fight. You didn't
win, but there were a good 30 people who fully supported your ideas;
that is enough of a quota to go through the same process that Simon has
invoked here. If you think that the board should do something
differently, or that the AoA should be changed, or whatnot, the exact
same process is open to you. Find 5% of members to support you, and you
can call for a GM to decide on any resolutions you might want to put up.

I want this resolution to be handled efficiently and professionally by
the current board because this will demonstrate that we take the members
(and our legal obligations) seriously, and it should enable similar
processes in the future when members feel they are called for.

Bye
Frederik