[Osmf-talk] Communications and osmf-talk (Was: Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections))

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Wed Oct 1 20:14:22 UTC 2014

On 30 Sep 2014, at 23:02, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> You simply can not assume that you are getting the full picture and are participating on a single continuous thread of communication between all participants.
>
> Nothing we can do about this, but I suspect the utility of osmf-talk as a semi-private mailing list has outlived itself given that the model actively provokes parallel comms. I would suggest either doing away with it completely or scoping it strictly to OSMF business.

We can at least try to do something about this broken communication model. Someone suggested written code of conduct in OSM lists. What about stating there, that highjacking a thread or topic to another channel is forbidden? Commenting OSM list topics things in twitter etc, so the original posters quite probably do not see it, is not “parallel comms”, it is talking behind one's back, which is in my own culture is regarded as very bad manners, something what "only put-your-least-favorite-social-group-here do” and which smells very bad. Maybe the new multi-channel social media has new rules about it, if so then I’m too old for this.

Jaak