[Osmf-talk] Communications and osmf-talk (Was: Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections))

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Thu Oct 2 06:42:32 UTC 2014

On 01 Oct 2014, at 23:14, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) <jaak at nutiteq.com> wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2014, at 23:02, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>>
>> You simply can not assume that you are getting the full picture and are participating on a single continuous thread of communication between all participants.
>>
>> Nothing we can do about this, but I suspect the utility of osmf-talk as a semi-private mailing list has outlived itself given that the model actively provokes parallel comms. I would suggest either doing away with it completely or scoping it strictly to OSMF business.
>
> We can at least try to do something about this broken communication model. Someone suggested written code of conduct in OSM lists. What about stating there, that highjacking a thread or topic to another channel is forbidden? Commenting OSM list topics things in twitter etc, so the original posters quite probably do not see it, is not “parallel comms”, it is talking behind one's back, which is in my own culture is regarded as very bad manners, something what "only put-your-least-favorite-social-group-here do” and which smells very bad. Maybe the new multi-channel social media has new rules about it, if so then I’m too old for this.

I know this particular list has a paywall, using email lists is really scary to below-30 generation etc, so what about a bit softer version of it. In one of my NGOs there is a volunteer in communications team who does media monitoring and completes weekly media reports. It is more for collection of traditional media like newspapers, TV news etc, but maybe this can be extended to so-called social media too. The simplest case: filter out automatically relevant twitter feed and post here a daily/weekly (depending on traffic) digest about it. I tried zapier which can email twitter search terms as emails, but it seems it can only do one email per each tweet separately, and naive search terms like osmf do not work (my first result: "OSMF AMDKS” - I need google translate for this). There is need for consolidation and additional curation. Of course, it can be too expensive, and maybe it is already working in some level, just the reports are going to somewhere else? I know it may sound like email2fax service to younger generation, but anyway.

Jaak