[Osmf-talk] Communications and osmf-talk (Was: Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections))

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:55:31 UTC 2014

> What about stating there, that highjacking a thread or topic to another
> channel is forbidden? Commenting OSM list topics things in twitter etc, so
> the original posters quite probably do not see it, is not “parallel comms”,
> it is talking behind one's back, which is in my own culture is regarded as
> very bad manners, something what "only
> put-your-least-favorite-social-group-here do” and which smells very bad.

FWIW, this suggestion was added to the Code of Conduct proposal that is
being worked on in GitHub [1]. The contributors there have no say over this
OSMF mailing list (other than most of us being members), but we have ended
up rejecting the pull request.

People are going to talk about issues wherever the want to. Just as not
everyone is a member of the social network du jour, not everyone feels
comfortable engaging in this list (which has been one of the many issues
raised in this series of threads). By suggesting that these things should
only be discussed in one place there is a very chilling effect on
conversation, most particularly toward the people who do not feel welcome
in this forum in the first place.

The OpenStreetMap community is the people who identify with the project and
call it their own. It is not a mailing list, or discussion board, or any
web property at all. As a community, we talk about our concerns online, in
person, through email, through IRC, through chats, on Twitter, on Facebook,
on Reddit, and through print. We're going to keep doing that. That's good.
Any attempt to restrict that will backfire.

[...] I suspect the utility of osmf-talk as a semi-private mailing list has
> outlived itself given that the model actively provokes parallel comms. I
> would suggest either doing away with it completely or scoping it strictly
> to OSMF business.

I agree with this. Having the list behind a paywall is confusing,
restrictive, and (particularly this week) has stunted conversation as
people have joined and hit a bottleneck for gaining access to the list.