[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Fri Oct 3 08:52:49 UTC 2014

Hi All,

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) <jaak at nutiteq.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. is the closed osmf member list really best place to discuss such things?
>

> 2. culturally sensitive grown-up person would avoid to add any
> questionable tags to the default preset lists. It may be ok for you and me,
> or even useful to some brothel-fan mapper - they can add it locally. But
> lets consider also many people (e.g. teachers etc) from any more
> conservative country (which is over 50% of countries) who are studying JOSM
> and see such “strong word”. For me it seems that some people think that it
> is funny to add and keep such presets to the UI, but in fact it is not.
> Yes, some tags can be subject to discussions, but these adult-oriented tags
> are obviously not necessary nor nice. Or do you really want to scare off
> all school teachers from OSM?

Today I'm working from Jakarta with Joseph Reeves. Prior to reading this I
was just telling him an anecdote about high school students in Tennessee in
the US. At that time the brothel tag was really obvious in the editor they
were using. Some of the kids began mapping each others houses as brothel. A
teacher in a more conservative place might not be inclined to use OSM with
these items in the forefront.

Though tagging always ends up being odd when taken to different cultures.
When we first started working in Eastern Indonesia there was a workshop
where people started mapping baby hatches like crazy. The person doing the
training asked them what they were mapping. Turned out they weren't mapping
baby hatch as defined in OSM, but something entirely different. Though when
it was explained the response was "oh that makes sense."

Best,

-Kate