[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Mon Oct 6 12:36:22 UTC 2014

> On 3 Oct 2014, at 09:01, Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Rory,
>
> There are countries where it is illegal [1]. There are also countries where alcohol is illegal [2] (Bar, Beer Garden, Pub, etc. tags).
>
> In both cases it is possible to customize JOSM presets on your computer [3], especially on an ultra-book which one carries across borders.
>
> I do it very simply (and probably incorrectly). I save the XML file of default presets [4] on my computer, remove corresponding blocks from this XML file, and point to this updated by me XML file in JOSM's Presets Preferences. Done. Both icons and text lines disappear from menus. It takes less than a minute.

A relatively small proportion of the world’s populations understands XML and can manipulate it, thus there needs to be some form of graphical editor which can be used by everyone. You can’t assume that everyone is able to read and write XML. If OSM was some major company, there would be a default option to hide options that are likely to cause offence. An easier way to distribute and design presets would be interesting.

Shaun