[Osmf-talk] A Better Map

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Thu Oct 23 06:04:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 12:24:10PM -0700, Kate Chapman wrote:
> I'd say the size of the board to me is not necessarily the issue. I do
> think however having a board elected completely just from the OSMF
> membership isn't the best approach. Those elected from OSM contributors (I
> frequently have seen in the past people post people's OSM edits for board
> elections) are not necessarily the best to be on a board.

This statement seems at odds with your complaint that members are not
enough involved. The board elections are at the moment pretty much the
only means for the OSMF members to voice their opinion, precisely by
electing those candidates who are most likely to steer the OSMF in the
direction the membership wants. I dare say that previous elections have
shown a very clear trend towards electing people that are firmly routed
in the community.

> It does not allow
> the flexibility to seek out board members with specialized skills. For
> example most of the board would not claim to be experts in finance, or
> legal matters. I certainly think election from part of the community is not
> a bad thing, but perhaps it isn't the only way.

Among all the problems I perceive with the board, lack of skills is very,
very low on the list. What the board needs are foremost people
that are able to work with others, that can listen and compromise.
We need people who are really interested in bringing OSM forward
instead of just following their own agenda.

Accountants and lawyers can be hired.

Sarah