[Osmf-talk] Running

Henk Hoff henk.hoff at osmfoundation.org
Thu Oct 23 23:22:51 UTC 2014

I've been silent because I'm pretty busy with work at the moment and some other stuff I need to do.

Anyways, since you asked for my response:

I'm normally a person who does not get angry or mad quickly. But Frederik (no reason to not mention his name, because you would have guessed it anyways) is one of the very few persons who has gotten me really furious.
Some examples.
- Within 3 weeks after he got elected to the board, he accused me of making secret deals with other organisations and that I was basically betraying the Foundation. In a similar way as the rant he just did. Just because I wanted a more softer approach in a certain matter than he wanted.
- A couple of months in he complained that I was doing way too much and that other board members please take over some work from me.
- When I'd mentioned to the board that I had a conversation with a certain organisation at some conference, I get a harsh response from Frederik that I first needed to contact the board before I should be in contact with any organisation so the board could decide my mandate.
- When I helped Steve setup the first OSMplus, I did that to keep OSMplus complementary to the OSMF so we would not end up with competing organisations. I got greeted with that I immediately needed to resign, that there was a grave conflict of interest, I was not defending the interests of the OSMF.
- Earlier this year, after I'd suggested to have an in-person board meeting in order to try to find some common ground in order to get the board in an somehow better functioning mode, I got bombarded with another rant in which Frederik proclaimed me to be the source of all evil in the board.

To make a long list short: I felt I was constantly attacked on my integrity. And I've learned that I don't respond very well to that.
We don't need to agree on everything. The least you can do is trying to understand where we're coming from so we can work towards a solution. But when someone is holding the moral high ground, that becomes very difficult.

In order to get the board functioning in some kind of decent way, we need to work on the human factor. We all have our unique qualities. And we all want to move the project forward. Let's try to take advantage of that.
And really, I don't think we're miles apart within the board on issues.

I still want to put my energy in making that work.

Henk