[Osmf-talk] Handling OSMF finances going forward

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 31 08:26:28 UTC 2014

Johan,

On 10/30/2014 11:02 PM, Johan & Marguerite wrote:
> I would be happy to advise the new board on
> governance (both financial and non-financial), since I have a background
> in accountancy & controlling.

I think that waiting for a new board to contact you and ask for your
expertise is perhaps sub-optimal. I would encourage anyone who has good
ideas or a perspective about what could be done better to air them here
in the open, for other members to see and discuss.

I'd be extra interested in hearing from people who already volunteer in
other UK non-profits, and what measures their organisations take to
ensure financial propriety.

A volunteer auditor system, of course, would have the volunteer auditors
reporting to the membership and not the board; they would be a body
controlling the board, not advising the board.

Would you also be available for a volunteer auditor position if one were
created, or would your professional background prohibit you from doing
that (I know that it is difficult for lawyers in Germany to voluntarily
help out in matters that might touch their professional sphere, not
without setting up a complex agreement at least)?

One question that the new board will have to deal with is that we might
have to change our schedule of making the financials available to the
members. In one of the last messages before he left, Simon mentioned
that he had read up on UK procedural issues and that it is likely we
have circulate our financial accounts to the members *before* they are
filed with Companies House; at least since SOTM moved to autumn, we've
usually done that the other way round. This might also signal a
decoupling of the GM (for which we usually publish the accounts) and
SOTM, but I haven't looked into this at all, I'm just repeating
something that Simon said.

Bye
Frederik