[Osmf-talk] Handling OSMF finances going forward

Andy Robinson blackadderajr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 12:33:04 UTC 2014

Some observations.

The reporting process for a UK registered company (including OSMF) is formally laid down. There are requirements for filing accounts that meet Companies House rules and separate rules applying to HMRC (for a Return). Nowadays you can submit both filings (they take a slightly different form) via the HMRC website though the last submission dates for the two are slightly different so you have to be a little careful.

The directors of the company (in the case of the OSMF its therefore the board as all board members are directors) are responsible equally for the filing of accounts by the due date with Companies House. I'm not aware of any process that requires members to approve them beforehand but the board does need to do so.

It is not normal in the UK for small businesses like OSMF to have an audit. Official audit only kicks in when a business reaches a certain size.

The key checking tool during any financial year are the management accounts. These are not the same as either the accounts filed for Companies House or those for HMRC. Management accounts show the day to day situation. Typically a board would use these accounts for monitoring the financial state of the business on a monthly or quarterly basis say. It is the management accounts which give the directors the knowledge as to whether the business is solvent. A key responsibility for the UK company director.

More info can be found at:
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/pdf/gba1.pdf
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/faq/deliveryDocs.shtml

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/ct-online/file-return/joint-filing.htm