[Osmf-talk] Handling OSMF finances going forward

Johan & Marguerite textline at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:52:29 UTC 2014

> Johan,
>
> On 10/30/2014 11:02 PM, Johan & Marguerite wrote:
> > I would be happy to advise the new board on
> > governance (both financial and non-financial), since I have a background
> > in accountancy & controlling.
>
> I think that waiting for a new board to contact you and ask for your
> expertise is perhaps sub-optimal. I would encourage anyone who has good
> ideas or a perspective about what could be done better to air them here
> in the open, for other members to see and discuss.

Both ways can be joined. Since logically I can't decide on governance the
board will have to do that. I can advise, but it makes no sense for me to
advise without being sure the board is listening and interacting. An open
advisory process is fine, for example on a wiki page with any interested
OSMF member and maybe some Hangouts, also with any interested OSMF member.

> I'd be extra interested in hearing from people who already volunteer in
> other UK non-profits, and what measures their organisations take to
> ensure financial propriety.
>
> A volunteer auditor system, of course, would have the volunteer auditors
> reporting to the membership and not the board; they would be a body
> controlling the board, not advising the board.
>
> Would you also be available for a volunteer auditor position if one were
> created, or would your professional background prohibit you from doing
> that (I know that it is difficult for lawyers in Germany to voluntarily
> help out in matters that might touch their professional sphere, not
> without setting up a complex agreement at least)?

Most likely the size of OSMF will be too small for an audit under ISA 700
(lack of segregation of duties being part of that reason). A review (ISRE
2400) or a compilation (ISRS 4410) might fit better. Since I would for an
audit have to comply to ISA 700 it's indeed unlikely that I will be doing
an audit.