[Osmf-talk] Sustainable Participation in OSM (was Tanzania)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:16:35 UTC 2014

> Just looked up the economical growth of Tanzania
> http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.KD.ZG . It was seven
> percent last year.
>
> For comparison, for France and Germany it was less than 1%, the USA 1.9%,
> Russian Federation 1.3%, etc.

wait until the black market will get integrated into the European figures,
coming soon ;-)

more seriously, if you look at GNI (Gross national income) per capita, in
Tanzania it was 630USD for 2013 (or 52,50 a month).
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.CD/countries/TZ-ZF-XM?display=graph

For comparison, in France it was 42250, Germany 46100, USA 53670, Russian
Fed 13860 etc.

Please note that these are average numbers, i.e. if this is not distributed
evenly (never the case), you will have a lot of people earning even less.

Potential mappers are people with enough time, money and sufficient
education / access to computers, my guess is that in a very poor country
like Tanzania is undoubtedly there is a very small amount of these (in
other words: if people struggle to survive working all day long, they won't
have time to participate - money for equipment left aside).

Please also note that internet connection fees are much higher in Africa
than they are in Europe.

cheers,
Martin