[Osmf-talk] Sustainable Participation in OSM (was Tanzania)

Max Semenik semenik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:01:09 UTC 2014

(accidentally replied to Simon only, reposting publicly)

Hey, a WMFer here, involved with WP Zero.

I'm saying this particularly in light of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero Given that OSM can be of
> even more immediate benefit to users in developing countries I don't see
> why we couldn't arrange for similar exceptions for traffic to and from
> OSM (except naturally that we are less well known than WP).

It's in no way an easy task: we dedicate a significant part of at least one
full-time lawyer's workload to this, and have several managers who
negotiate deals,  act as liaisons, etc. Travel expences are noticeable too.
I don't think this is feasible for OSMF at this point.