[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Sat Sep 27 00:56:34 UTC 2014

Thanks Emilie for highlighting my points about privilege. While gender is
certainly a diversity problem in OpenStreetMap it isn't the only issue.

I wanted to share another thing we could all do to assist in hearing
diverse views. We could simple listen. I make it a point not to send too
many emails on the assorted OSM mailing lists in a day. It is easy to
respond to every email and tell people you don't agree with them. Recently
my roommate Mathew Lippincott gave a talk at FOSS4G regarding diversity and
provided a handout to help guide conversations(1). It is a simple guide, I
don't unfortunately have a digital copy other than the picture at the
moment. Though this is the outline.

The Flux Guide to Respectful Conversation

*Share time with everybody
*Take three seconds to think
*Find empathy for others
*Understanding isn't necessary