[Osmf-talk] Reaching out and diversity (Was: Re: AGM and board elections)

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Sat Sep 27 09:35:07 UTC 2014

On 27 Sep 2014, at 02:16, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/09/2014 23:33, Emilie Laffray wrote:
>
>> First of all, I want to say I agree with you and I could probably cite a few occasions where some comments or behaviors have been inappropriate. I am going to refrain from naming and shaming because it won't help and it will only stir more conversations.
>
> It *will* help, and stirring more conversations is precisely what we need, if there is indeed a problem. You don't actually need to 'name and shame': at least in the first instance you can present anonymized anecdotes.

I honestly have the same problem. I try to read this thread and I still have little idea what it is talking about. Probably I’m naive, stupid, having different cultural background from the soviet chauvinist education, do not read posts carefully enough, blind to something. I’m afraid that I can be even accidental sexist, with nobody mentioning. There might be others like me. I tried to skim through some articles pointed before, but could not really link them to OSM as I know it. I understand that some of us are too tired of it, are afraid of it etc, but maybe some others who also do know well the issue would please add a few specific examples of diversity issues in OSM? These could be be even made up, just realistic enough in OSM context.

Jaak