[Osmf-talk] Board requests mapper feedback: Draft Core Values

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Apr 13 02:47:01 UTC 2015

Dermot,
Thanks to you and the Board for stepping up to the plate to start a
conversation about OSM's Core Values.

Before putting the Board's stamp of approval on these values I trust that
you will share this draft with the wider OSM audience for the "community's"
input. In that vain, I respectfully submit my input.

I agree with Mikel Maron that a couple need some wordsmithing. For example
"Importance of Community" should be stated with the values that we hold,
not that what we expect. "Ground Truth" as I understand it isn't that we
favor ground truth over other sources, but ground truth is the deciding
factor in what is correct.

I would like to see a statement in favor of diversity. Right now we appear,
at least to me, as a community in need of more diversity. We need to
broaden our appeal that attracts people from other cultures to leadership
positions. For example, I borrowed this from St. Xavier University. "*Diversity
builds a community that fosters a climate that is open and welcoming to
diverse people, ideas and perspectives; that promotes a constructive
discourse on the nature of diversity; and that engages faculty, staff and
students in activities that promote the University's core values."*

Respect is an area I'd like to see stand on it's own. For example, Dow's
Core Values include "*Respect for People – We believe in the inherent worth
of people and will honor our relationships with those who let us be part of
this world: We, the employees of Dow, are the engine of value creation; our
imagination, determination, and dedication are essential to growth. We will
work to celebrate and reward the unique backgrounds, viewpoints, skills,
and talents of everyone at Dow. Respect for people is measured by how we
treat each other, by the contributions that flow from our diversity, by the
productivity of our relationships, and by a job well done, no matter what
the job.*

*Our communities are our neighbors; their acceptance of us is vital to our
ability to operate.*

*Our customers are our partners in creating value; their loyalty is our
greatest reward.*

*Our shareholders are the beneficiaries of our success; their on-going
commitment to us is based on returning to them superior profits over time.*

*Our respect for people also extends to the consumers whose lives we touch.
We will strive to answer people’s most vital needs: for food, water,
shelter, transportation, communication, health and medicine.*

Integrity is an area that is of vital importance to OSM. Our standards,
especially when it comes to the data we add, must be free of all copyright
claims. Having integrity as a core value is integral to our mission.

It may look like I have issues with the draft presented, but it is my
belief that as a group we can make our core value ones that we all support.
To do so requires that we take an active role in crafting them.  I applaud
the work the Board did with this draft of core values.

Thanks,
Clifford Snow

--
@osm_seattle