[Osmf-talk] Hiring help for OSMF administrative tasks

Eleanor Tutt eleanor.tutt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:34:53 UTC 2015

I think we need to respect that the board is examining the possibility of
part time administrative help for good reason.  I like that they are
looking for general feedback first before asking us to comment on a
specific plan.

Administrative tasks can be quite thankless because when they are done
well, very few people notice. It is incredibly difficult to know how much
time is being spent behind the scenes.  I volunteer with several staff-free
organizations, and the volunteers end up receiving some very predictable
complaints: that meetings/events are not scheduled far enough in advance or
publicized well enough, that minutes are not made available in a timely
fashion, that it takes volunteers a long time to respond to emails, etc.
In the meantime, the volunteers feel like they spend the bulk of their time
on - you guessed it! - scheduling & publicizing meetings, typing minutes,
and responding to emails.

Part time staff at organizations I know of have worked great for the
following sorts of things:

- "herding cats"...making sure everyone is prepped and ready for meetings,
keeping on top of news/milestones from the community and from other
organizations of interest and briefing board members, keeping track of
shared calendars, etc.
- handling predictable communications (including publicizing important
dates, typing board meeting minutes and so forth)
- responding to basic queries (including routing more complex questions to
the right people)
- drafting documents/blog posts/etc. for board/volunteers to polish
- prepping financial reports for board meetings

That list may sound unimaginative, but those are the sorts of tasks that
easily fall by the wayside even with well-meaning volunteers.

Eleanor