[Osmf-talk] Financials 2014

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 13 13:53:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

    I have made preliminary financial figures for 2014 available here:

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Finances/Income_2014

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Finances/Balance_Sheet_2014

You will note that in addition to the 2013 column given for reference,
there are two columns here: one for September 2013 to August 2014, and
one from September 2014 to December 2014.

When the OSM Foundation was created, its financial year started on the
1st of September. Therefore every profit and loss table and every
balance sheet would always cover the period from 1st September in one
year to 31st August in the next year.

While this is totally ok financially, it is difficult for many people to
follow; when we said "the OSMF has spent this much on hardware in 2013"
what we really meant was "in the 2013 business year which started on 1st
September 2012 and ended on 31st August 2013".

This was especially strange with our State of the Map conference, which
even though it happened once a year, could sometimes fall into the same
business year as the previous year's conference or vice versa, so that
there were business years with two conferences and business years with
none. This makes it very hard to compare one year's figures to those of
another year.

We therefore decided to extend the 2014 business year to run for 16
months instead of 12, ending not on the 31st August but on the 31st
December 2014, and from then on, our business years will be full
calendar years.

If you have any questions about the accounting, I'm happy to (try to)
answer them.

Bye
Frederik
(OSMF Treasurer)