[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 28 17:14:49 UTC 2015

On Saturday 28 November 2015, Joseph Reeves wrote:

> >and i am not sure if this is reconcilable with being a HOT
> >member.
>
> On this I couldn't disagree more.

You are welcome to disagree, i do not think my view here is the only
possible one and i do not have the advantage of an inside experience
with HOT.

But i think you should re-evaluate your assessment that "HOT and the
OSMF are not working towards different goals".  This sounds to me very
much like - to paraphrase a famous quote - "the probability of
substantial differences between the goals of HOT and OSMF is
necessarily very close to zero"(*) Meaning: it would be convenient if
it was but there are no actual facts indicating it is.  There are
countless mostly minor examples from everyday mapping practice where
differences manifest - just to give an example:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2014-September/003418.html

Categorically stating there are no such differences in goals does not
change this.

(*) For those who don't recognize it:
http://history.nasa.gov/rogersrep/v2appf.htm

--