[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT US Inc) in the OpenStreetMap Foundation

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:43:30 UTC 2015

Hi Christoph,

>Or in other words: I think when you run for the OSMF board as a HOT
>member you should make clear you put the OSMF mission above the HOT
>mission

Running for the OSMF means that candidates wish to serve the best interests
of the OSMF. This goes without saying and I'm sure that all involved are
involved because they wish to serve the OSMF. It's probably worth
reiterating that HOT and the OSMF are not working towards different goals;
both wish to create a better map of the world. I think it's perfectly
normal that people will have an interest in both HOT and OSMF, but people
here, running for the OSMF, wish to serve the OSMF.

>and i am not sure if this is reconcilable with being a HOT
>member.

On this I couldn't disagree more. My status as a HOT Member means that I
have previously shown a commitment to the project, it does not make me a
decision maker or anyone of influence within the organisation. I previously
stated this on OSM-Talk:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-November/075117.html

Apologies to all: I meant to only reply to OSMF-talk, where such messages
are more useful, but got distracted this morning and replied in the wrong
place.

I hope this furore can demonstrate one thing: People with a history of HOT
involvement may legitimately wish to become more involved in other areas of
the OSM ecosystem.

Cheers, Joseph