[Osmf-talk] Draft New Corporate Membership Tiers

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Apr 27 16:29:50 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 27 April 2016, Kate Chapman wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
> The OSMF Board has put together a draft update to the Corporate
> Membership(1). We are interested in feedback regarding the tiers and
> the specific benefits.

First thanks for opening up discussion on this.

My thoughts:

- the marketing and sponsorship offers are without problems i think -
making public these terms and having them open with equal opportunity
to any company is a good thing.
- 'Attend OSMF general meetings' should be clarified as through a single
representative (or a specified higher number) and should emphasize that
this does not entail any formal rights in those meetings (i.e. just
attendance).
- the 'call with OSMF board member' looks extremely hairy to me.
Although this is of course not said it clearly implies the corporate
member is being give special influence on the board and its decisions.
The appearance that by soliciting corporate financing on a regular
basis in significant volume the OSMF moves away from representing the
OSM community and towards representing business interests around OSM
would be unavoidable to some extent but with elements like this you'd
significantly emphasize that impression.
- the 'Legal access to OSMF General Counsel' is completely unclear at
this point.  What is meant to be the purpose of this?  Legal advise on
questions of use of OSM data by the corporate member?  Negotiation of
special terms for OSM data outside the scope of the ODbL?

Overall my suggestion is: if you want to offer additional benefits
beyond basic publicity and sponsorship aspects it would be best to
concentrate on elements of advise, training and help in things like
using OSM data and interacting with the OSM community.  The aim with
such benefits should be to get OSM into those corporations, not to get
those corporations and their interests into OSM.  Organizing business
workshops is certainly a way to do this but of course there are also
other options.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/