[Osmf-talk] Corporate Membership update

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri Jul 1 19:54:53 UTC 2016

Chistoph,

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Thanks for reopening the discussion.
>
> I think it is a good idea to be specific about what kind of corporate
> OSM users should apply for which package.  To me an entry package for
> EUR 1500 seems rather steep though.  What if someone uses OSM in
> business, it is helpful, and maybe loosing it would even severely
> affect business but still EUR 1500 per year would way exceed all these
> benefits and is not justifiable for the business?  This is going to be
> fairly rare in western Europe and the US but worldwide i can easily
> imagine hundreds, maybe thousands of companies where this applies.  I
> think you need to consider what message you send to such a company with
> such a price structure.

The guidelines are not meant to be just that - guidelines. If an
organization chooses to become a member at a lesser or higher tier than
what the guideline advises, we won't stop them.

The idea for a lower tier is an interesting one. How much would you
suggest?

> I know this is called "Corporate Membership" so formally it simply won't
> apply to most of the companies i have in mind here but since there is
> no separate membership program for small and medium enterprises that
> are not corporations i think this is still a valid concern.

What do you think would be a better word to describe this than 'corporate'?

> "Advisory board access" needs explanation.

Correct. We are hoping to get some feedback around what this could mean
through this discussion.

> > Based on the feedback on this list, and some more discussion within
> > the board, we have a revised version of the proposed Corporate
> > Membership tiers, which we put on a public-writable document:
>
> In case you have not seen this i made some further suggestions on the
> matter of financial support from companies in a mail in the "Budget for
> 2016" thread:
>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2016-May/003822.html
>
> Thanks for reminding us. I really like the idea for supporting members
(and lowering the base membership rate.) We discussed the topic of
increasing membership and membership revenue at our recent face to face
meeting as well. We did not come to any conclusions yet but this is
definitely something to consider. I think the Membership WG can help figure
this out.