[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap Awards

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Mon Jul 11 09:13:07 UTC 2016

Ikiya,

Thanks for this email. I share your concerns, that if the OSM Awards are the only positive feedback mappers can get, it can be demotivating for some. Every mapper is valuable, even these who added a single shop of a cafe near their house.

The award with its possibly 20, 10 or even just 3 nominations, like some argue, is good for honouring people who made noticeable efforts in advancing the project one way or another. For smaller contributions, there is a better system, which can be mostly automated: it's calles badges or archievents. For example, when user adds a first building, they might receive a "Builder" archievement. After adding 1000 of building it can be "Master Builder". And so on: in 2012, some members of the Russian community compiled a list of nearly 200 various archievements. All of these could be detected automatically. People could collect these, share and compete. And that could be an award of its own. But we need some enthusiastic programmers to implements archievements, and we don't have any.

For now we have Missing Maps' badges, which maybe could be extended to the whole project. It would be great if somebody took that task, to give a sense of fulfillment to each mapper. Or, with an extra community effort, not only to mappers, but also to everyone else who does anything, like organizing meetings or teaching OSM to students.

I don't mind local awards — there will be SotM Asia in October, you may start preparing them now — but I don't think we shouldn't proceed with the OSM Awards. These may not affect every member of OSM community, but at least they would demonstrate which work we consider valuable, and that we not only boast about our own archievements at conferences, but also show our gratitude to other members.

IZ