[Osmf-talk] Budget for 2016

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun May 1 20:36:40 UTC 2016

Simon,

On 05/01/2016 05:19 PM, Simon Poole wrote:
> Besides going bust, the other aspect is that even this year we will only
> have very limited funds to cover emergency situations. Given that we
> don't have any insurance coverage for the operational aspects of the
> org, a fire or other disaster would essentially result in everything
> coming to a standstill.

It's true we don't have any insurance for our computers yet and it is
unlikely that we will sign up for any this year, but I am in talks with
an insurance broker over the cover that we'd need to be able to quickly
react in such an emergency situation. (As you can imagine, they would
like to know exactly what hardware we have in which location and what
the hosting agreements/conditions are, and it is a little work to
compile that information.)

> I'm just not
> convinced that trying to sell more expensive corporate membership on the
> benefits that you get more for your money is going to work (IMHO it
> should be because you can afford to support OSM more).

We discussed internally whether we should let members self-select the
category they want to join in, or whether we should do something like
"under 5 employees - £1000, 5-20 employees - £5000", or dependent on
annual turnover or whatnot. We thought that the latter would be hell to
control or even enforce, plus there would be so many cases where our
chosen metric doesn't really echo how much an organisation can afford.

I don't think that we should actively market the membership categories
as "pick the service package you want to buy" - more like "decide what
level you can support OSMF on, and select the appropriate package - and
here's a few extras you get with that to sweeten the deal".

Bye
Frederik