[Osmf-talk] Budget for 2016

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun May 8 06:30:44 UTC 2016

On 06/05/16 23:36, Ivo Stankov wrote:
> While it is true that many OSM-data users never get to see the osm.org
> site, the most motivated and likely to donate ones definitely visit it
> regularly.
>
> It have the feeling there is some reluctance to even seriously consider
> a Wikipedia-style donation campaign. But I do not understand why.
> Wikimedia is collecting millions in their campaign, we need a tiny, tiny
> fraction of this. Theirs is (too) obtrusive, ours doesn't have to be (as
> much).
>
> What would be the downside of a trial annual donation campaign that is
> advertised just below the search field on the osm.org page with the
> honest remark that the OSMF really needs the money in order to remain
> independent?

Wikipedia is not only about places and geography, it is also about
sports, art, history, biographies, mathematics, economics, etc., so its
community is much vaster and more diverse. On the other hand, all this
happen mostly on the Earth surface, so mapping is relevant to Wikimedia too.

I read that there is even an experiment in Italy to create a single
organization both for Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap [1]. It is an
interesting approach.

I use osm.org website almost always together with GeoWiki:
http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/ . It is an application which I wrote to
view geo-locations of Wikipedia articles on the map. It works for all
language versions of Wikipedia, not only for English, - just replace
"en" language code on "de", "fr", "it", "ru", etc. Click on the map and
it shows geo-markers with links to all Wikipedia articles ten kilometers
around the click.

I think it would be a good idea to show the Wikipedia articles, which
have coordinates, on the main osm.org website. It could be a clickable
icon in the form of a small circle with the "W" letter inside. The
osm.org could become a major entry gateway to Wikipedia. The Earth
surface is also in a way a navigation tree. The MediaWiki API and
Overpass API are readily available for this functionality. It will make
not only the OSM and WIkipedia better, but also the world a better place.

By the way, the Wikimania 2016 conference will take place also in Italy
[2]. Wikipedia fundraising is not just a banner on the website.
Fundraising is a professional activity [3], and the WIkimedia has got a
lot of know-how in this domain to share.

[1] http://wiki.wikimedia.it/wiki/Wikimedia_news/numero_64/en

[2] https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

[3] https://www.afpnet.org/index.cfm