[Osmf-talk] Anonymous Donations

Frederik Ramm frederik at osmfoundation.org
Fri Nov 4 12:55:22 UTC 2016

Dear OSMF members,

    donations to OSMF are anonymous by default. If you transfer £100 to
our bank account marked as a donation, then we won't tell anybody who
you are. We'll send you a receipt if you ask for one but that's it.

("Anonymous" is not the best word since we know whom the money comes
from, we just don't share that knowledge. Maybe "confidential" is better
but I'll stick to "anonymous" for this post.)

Sometimes, as in the current funding drive, we give donors the option of
being on a public list, voluntarily overriding the "anonymity" default,
but that's an exception.

The OSMF board has been discussing recently in how far such anonymous
donations might clash with our commitment to transparency.

We're pretty sure that anonymously taking a donation of £50 or £100 or
even £500 is acceptable. But what if someone wanted to give us, say,
£50,000 anonymously? Or even more?

Is it ok for us to take anonymous donations of any size? Or should there
be an upper limit or some other conditions attached to donations?

We would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Bye
Frederik - for the OSMF board