[Osmf-talk] OSM and Diversity

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 19:18:18 UTC 2017

Hi,

I agree with Kate and others about gentle communication and doing
small steps towards a better (gender) diversity. Obviously OSM should
attract more non-male/non-young/non-white/non-rich/non-european
members.

But I don't see why we should ignore questionable academic disussions
and papers. It's up to Frederik to take his time to dissect Andrew
Hall's recent "Wikimedia Research Showcase" and Monica Stephens' paper
on "Gender and the GeoWebHOT" 2013 (for those interested see other
thread entitled "Live OSM discussion in ~45 minutes ...").

There exists no unbiased map and I support the idea that VGI has a
systematic and a project specific bias (see Muki Haklay's post here on
"PhD opportunity on biases..."). I think we agree on the systematic
bias. But IMHO also the project specific bias of OSM is neither very
evident nor stronger i.e. than the average tech. project and/or
association.

So OSM is in good company like e.g. with many sports clubs - and
computer science. Believe me, they are wringing hands in academia and
industry there too. I'm co-organizing coding events for women like
Girls Weeks, @DjangoGirls - besides Mapping Parties - having a great
time. Unfortunately with limited success since years when looking at
the low female quota in such jobs.

Being both a computer scientist and a geographer have an observation
though, which could give a hint: In high school, geographical and
social departments the gender diversity seems quite good. And to me
OSM has quite much to do with geography and society (including
tourism).

So, IMHO it would be worthwhile to find out the commonalities and what
attracts women to engage in geography or social professions. And I
don't think it's because of the majority of men nor hostile
debaters/contributors nor code creators. It's happening at K-12 and
before... (*)

:Stefan (on the way to SotM 2017 Japan!)

(*) Have you seen the children's activities at SotM-FR 2017? See e.g.
https://twitter.com/assotiriad/status/869779597256257537 and
http://openstreetmap.fr/sotmfr2017