[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:31:28 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

> For this purpose i would like to know if Dale's mail, specifically the
> statements cited above, would be considered to be in violation of this
> CoC and why they are/are not.  In a similar way of course i would also
> like to know if Nicolas' mails today, in particular the first one,
> would or would not be in violation of said CoC (the cited statements
> above indicate that they appear to be considered as such by Dale -
> though at the moment i do not quite understand what the reason for this
> assessment is).

Interesting question. Nico could certainly make a complaint about
Dale's email and then it would be up to the 7 folks on the community
standards group to decide.

Your question also illustrates exactly Rory McCann's point on the more
general OSM Code of Conduct thread and Ada Iniative's point that "Be
nice" type of directives in CoC's can often be used to just further
disrupt a community when some one is just very polite but still acting
in bad faith and in frustration someone trying in good faith responds
very frankly.

There have been cases in the past at HOT where this exact thing
happened with some of the same actors here. We have learned the hard
way what is a good and bad CoC and I think we still have more to learn
:)

Regards,
Blake