[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Dec 2 17:20:34 UTC 2017

On Friday 01 December 2017, Blake Girardot wrote:

> Your question also illustrates exactly Rory McCann's point on the
> more general OSM Code of Conduct thread and Ada Iniative's point that
> "Be nice" type of directives in CoC's can often be used to just
> further disrupt a community when some one is just very polite but
> still acting in bad faith and in frustration someone trying in good
> faith responds very frankly.

Well - that is a side effect of any behavioural regulation -
discriminating nice and open people in the way they express themselves
while supporting the more devious people who are more canny in hiding
their intentions behind a conformal facade.

Another, probably even more important problem is what Michelle described
quite well with:

> I've found the most valuable
> contributions to discussions tend to be the ones that make
> uncomfortable observations and force the community to be self
> reflective.

By the way for those who have not seen it - in

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Glassman/diary/42857

among others two current board members and one of the candidates of the
current election (Joost Schouppe) have expressed their support for such
a "be nice" type malleable CoC (though without making clear what the
purpose and scope of this would be).  It would be good to know where
the other candidates stand on this matter.

And i would of course appreciate assessments regarding my original
questions about how the HOT CoC (or in a similar way the draft linked
to above) would apply to Nicolas' and Dale's mails and based on what
criteria i can make such an assessment.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/