[Osmf-talk] May 2017 use of Code Of Conduct (CoC) for Membership control in HOT US Inc internal governance

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 18:58:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

> And i would of course appreciate assessments regarding my original
> questions about how the HOT CoC (or in a similar way the draft linked
> to above) would apply to Nicolas' and Dale's mails and based on what
> criteria i can make such an assessment.

I thought I sort of explained that:

In HOT's CoC Nico would make a complaint and the folks who are part of
the community committee that have agreed to review CoC complaints, 7
people who are hot voting members who volunteered to review coc
complaints, would read his complaint and decide if what he was
complaining about violated the HOT CoC or not.

That is the way CoC's work, reasonable people and community members
read the complaint, look at the issue in question and CoC guidelines
and make a decision. It is not a trail, nor is it some big community
event.

In HOT's case, if Nico's complaint was found to be right and Dale
violated the CoC, Dale would get a notice that his email was a problem
in light of the HOT CoC, why and how it might have been handled better
and Dale would be asked to try and not do that same thing going
forward.

Dale could then either reflect on the issue and accept that he made a
mistake or could have done better and move on, trying to do better
next time, or he could appeal to the full membership to have his
notice removed. I would hope he would not do that and just try and
learn from the situation.

If he kept repeatedly, violating the CoC even after several notices of
what he was doing was not in accordance with how the community would
like itself to be (as is their right to decide what sort of community
they wish to be), he would probably eventually have his emails or
whatever put on moderation. Eventually if he kept being a problem
intentionally and the community, through the CoC process, felt it was
really harming the community, they would ask him to leave the
community to find one that better fit his style of whatever it was.

All of the above is kind of hypothetical of course, but based on what
I know of the HOT CoC process, I think it could go something like
that.

Asking this email list to try and hash out exactly what would happen
or decide if his email is a violation is not really possible and may
be not a good use of this group's time.

I encourage Nico, if he feels Dale's letter was a violation of HOT's
CoC to make a complaint: complaints at hotosm.org (all complaints are
treated confidentially) HOT's code and process are linked to here:
https://www.hotosm.org/hot_code_of_conduct

Regards,
Blake