[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should Adopt a Code of Conduct

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Dec 2 18:53:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> The WMF is of particular interest, not just because they, at least in
> theory, have a similar role in their overall movement as the OSMF, but
> because they have multiple CoC or similar documents tailor made for the
> venue, activity and groups that they concern. Taking particular care on the
> hand to allow people working together on a specific task do so in a
> friendly non-discriminatory environment (in our case this would be mainly
> the working groups) and on the other hand being careful not to stifle
> debate and critical discussion of matters that concern policies, elections
> and the central organisation  (in our case the OSMF).

I'm glad you brought in Wikimedia. Yes they are a similar organization to
OSM but with a code which as you point out seems to work for them.

> Now I do make the admission that for somebody that has never been involved
> in OSM in an active way before, being dropped on to this mailing list has
> to be bewildering, which goes for any mailing list in times of high
> traffic, but to turn it in to an essentially moderated list on which you
> don't dare raise issues or say your mind because you might frighten
> somebody away that doesn't have the context of the discussion yet, cannot
> be the solution. Maybe we should simply revive osmf-announce and not
> automatically subscribe everybody to this list, though I'm sure that will
> simply result in people complaining that they are being cut out of
> important discussions.

I may have not made my proposal clear enough. My proposal is for OSM, under
the policy guidance of OSMF, to adopt a code of conduct. Not just the
osmf-talk list, but all OSM lists, forums, and events.

> That, very seldom, we have events in which unacceptable language is used,
> I count three in seven years of OSM (the major one being two Americans
> calling each other names on talk-diversity,). is the risk that we take by
> providing open communication forums, no CoC will stop that happening,
> except of we turn this list in to fully moderated. But that risk is by far
> outweighed by the benefits.

OSM seems to be doing okay not moderating edits. I think the same approach
should be used for mailing lists. OSM has a good process for handling
issues of copyright violation, disputes, vandalism, etc. How DWG handles
issues would be a good example for a group responsible for CoC
reports.  What this proposal does is provide an avenue for people to report
violations of the code which is similar to the role DWG fills. Looking at
the list of organizations with a code, I'm not aware of any that operate
fully moderated.

Best,
Clifford

osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us