[Osmf-talk] Proposal - OSMF Should **NOT** Adopt a Code of Conduct

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 20:04:14 UTC 2017

Nikos, all

The CoC you reference as a nice read, is one created for a conference,
meaning an event with physical presence, where this makes sense.

What we are discussing here (and here [1]) at OSMF AFAIk are a guide
for online communication.

Like Rafael I'm very sceptic about a CoC, and I'd like that all are
aware of the few first words of it's definition in Wikipedia [2]
saying: a CoC " ...is a set of rules outlining the social norms and
religious rules and responsibilities of, or proper practices for,..".
Read those words again: "norm, religious, rule, proper practice"!

So, I'd rather call it Netiquette. And this looks rather like a guide [3].
And - unsurprisingly to me - the OSM Wiki page currently called CoC
[1] rather looks like a Netiquette and IMHO should be renamed.

Conferences, in particular SotM, and other events with physical
presence can still establish a stronger guide, called "CoC" like this.

Yours, Stefan

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Community_Code_of_Conduct_(Draft)
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct
[3] https://learning.colostate.edu/guides/guide.cfm?guideid=4