[Osmf-talk] wish list to osmf board

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 13:12:30 UTC 2017

Hi Christine,

I don't have a wish list, as such, but i do hope that many of the
discussions that have started around this election will carry forward
productively into the new Board term.

There's been a lot to think about over the last couple of weeks, but what
has stuck with me strongly is a couple of emails from John Crowley:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-November/004473.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-November/004475.html

> once a group takes on responsibility for providing reliable services at a global scale,
> with industries of small, medium, and global businesses depending on the
> underlying infrastructure and millions of contributors, amateur structures
> break down.

This is something I agree with, although I wouldn't have been able to
make the points in the two emails as eloquently myself. When casting
my vote I asked myself who I thought had the ambition and skills
required to steer the OSMF into a position where it was as globally
important as the Wikimedia Foundation; I believe much of this will
rely on community and organisational leadership.

Cheers, Joseph