[Osmf-talk] Code of Conduct Reminder

J.Verwer at inter.NL.net J.Verwer at inter.NL.net
Sat Dec 16 20:25:42 UTC 2017

Hi all,

> Actually the main problem with it, and what makes it rather weird to
> read, is that instead of boiling down to: you shouldn't harass people at
> the conference, it jumps in the deep end and puts everything in the
> context of "..that reinforce social structures of domination related to..."
> even if it was less political gibberish, it is still massively overstepping
> any mandate that the OSMF and the SOTM WG  have .
Yes, this is the part that caught my eye as well. If I were to say
"Traditionally men have been breadwinners in more cases than women have",
would that be considered harassment? One possible interpretation of the
code of conduct implies that it would. Then it's just a blank check for
whoever gets to enforce the code to get rid of pretty much anyone they
hold a grudge against. Now, I'm not saying that was the intention behind
this phrasing (and indeed I hope that it wasn't), but power corrupts and
all that.

Regards,

Jorden