[Osmf-talk] Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Tue Dec 19 11:41:52 UTC 2017

Frederik,

I'm in total agreement with you.
+ using terms like racism or misogyny out of purpose also blur
simplistic minds about the very meaning of these aggressions against
minorities (and indeed everybody, as human beings), and may mask how
serious they are in fact.
If what happens on this list is a "viper pit of racism and misogyny",
then everything can be called racism/misogyny, and in turn
racism/misogyny mean nothing any more. Which would be good news for
racists/misogynist as we would then lack appropriate words to
specifically denounce what they actually are.

Overusing or distorting words is a very dangerous thing, indeed.

And the fact that Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president, as
Nico reminds us) is in this kind of business is at least worrying.

But not surprising to me from my past experience as a HOT member.

Moreover these "arrangements with facts" (or ungrounded imputations, if
you like) long were a landmark of a significant part of the HOT board
and those supporting them against those not sharing their views (i.e.
minorities, mainly "political", maybe also geographical and/or linguistic).

Hence my warning 2 years ago against a possible over-representation of
HOT in the OSMF board (with limited effect: from 1 to 2, missing the 3).
That it was repeated by others this year was not sufficient either (now
from 2 to 3). What's next? takeover?
There is a component of HOT which is toxic and I would't like this venom
to extend to OSMF.
But it seems it is anyway. On the list, as well as on the board.

Rod

--
Rod Béra,  MCF Géomatique                /   Lecturer, Geomatics
           et SIG pour l'Environnement  /    and Environmental GIS
+33 (0) 223 48 5553 - roderic.bera at agrocampus-ouest.fr