[Osmf-talk] Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Dec 19 19:06:12 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 19 December 2017, Ben Abelshausen wrote:

> It hurts when people tweet this kind of stuff, I follow Frederik's
> sentiment. I have responded on twitter a couple of times when this
> happens. But how we respond to this has to be different from what
> we've done up until now:
>
> "It's not true, there isn't a problem, and let's do nothing!"
>
> This reaction is normal, [...]

No, it is not and since no one here said anything like that implying
people do and that it is normal to do so is demeaning.

If anyone comes up here with specific critique on the way people
communicate and treat other people and does so respectfully and in a
tolerant way, supports this critique with solid arguments and most
importantly is open to the possibility of being wrong about it, i will
be the first to defend them against voices who deny this needs careful
consideration.  But that is not the case here.

Before the board elections Joost rightfully pointed out that it is
important to clearly speak up if people make comments you consider
offensive or otherwise inappropriate.  This is what is happening here
regarding Dale Kunce's comments.  Frederik and Rod both pointed out in
detail how that is the case with Dale's comments.  Please don't try to
spin this into yet another 'we need a CoC' campaign.  It would be
incredibly ironic if a statement by a radical CoC lobbyist that is in
blatant violation of just about any CoC you could imagine was used as
an argument for imposing a CoC on the OSM community.

I am all for continuing the discourse on how to support friendly,
respectful and open cross cultural communication in a growing global
OSM community.  But do not let statements like that from Dale Kunce
which trample on just about everything OpenStreetMap stands for
influence this discourse.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/