[Osmf-talk] "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"

Wed Dec 20 10:48:14 UTC 2017

(I haven't been an OSMF member since 2013 so am unable to post to this
list except by the good graces of the list administrators, but as one of
the ops of the #osm IRC channel, would like to clarify something being
discussed here.)

joost schouppe wrote:
> BTW I've just been told the actual trigger was not anything said on
> here, but some blatant anti-American hate speech on IRC that wasn't
> countered by those present there:

The #osm IRC channel is, in my experience, perhaps the friendliest, most
informal and best-natured of OSM's many communication channels; and the
three channel ops (myself, Ian Dees, Dee Earley) try to keep it that way.

We can't be in front of a screen 24/7 and so may sometimes miss
something - certainly I hadn't seen the comment mentioned here. If you
do spot something like this, please notify one/all of the ops - either
in open channel or private message - and we can do something about it.
It's a little disheartening to learn about this (very rare) occurrence
third-hand.

> I wish we could try just a bit harder to understand why the other has
> a certain opinion, rather than trying to prove them wrong.

This is perhaps the most important point made in this whole sorry
thread. Thank you, Joost.

Richard
#osm channel op inter alia