[Osmf-talk] Board term limits and term lengths

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:21:34 UTC 2017

Agree with Martijn. I don't see term limits as a priority, or probably necessary. If we were going to think about governance issues, there are other things I'd start with first (yes, for instance, rationalizing the length of terms to cut down confusion; or building up structures for local chapters). As it is, I don't see governance structures as the main thing OSMF needs energy put into right now anyhow.
* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, November 10, 2017, 10:58:41 AM EST, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

 Nobody on the board has made it a priority to work on this for as long as I have been on the board.For me, it is clearly not a priority. I would support fixed term lengths. I don't think that forced term limits would bring us much, and I don't necessarily agree with the observation that incumbents have an advantage.Martijn
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

On Friday 10 November 2017, Kate Chapman wrote:

> I don't think term limits are necessary. They did not pass
> previously.

For future reference the opinions of the current board members as i have
found them:

* Peda:

historically against
https://wiki.openstreetmap. org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/ AGM14/Election_to_Board
undecided later
https://wiki.openstreetmap. org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/ AGM15/Election_to_Board#Board_ term_limits

* Kate:

against (see above)

* Martijn:

unknown

* Mikel:

for some kind of limitation
https://lists.openstreetmap. org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2014- September/002492.html
https://lists.openstreetmap. org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2014- November/002916.html

* Paul:

for
https://wiki.openstreetmap. org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/ AGM14/Election_to_Board

* Frederik:

for
https://wiki.openstreetmap. org/wiki/User:Frederik_Ramm/ 2016_OSMF_Board_Elections_ Manifesto
plus statement of a personal term limit

* Ilya:

for
https://wiki.openstreetmap. org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/ AGM15/Election_to_Board#Board_ term_limits

That would make 4 board members for some kind of term limit, one
against, one unknown and one undecided.  Even if i count the unknown as
against that does not really add up.

So can someone please point out my error?

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/