[Osmf-talk] Directed Editing Policy

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 00:07:09 UTC 2017

Hi Yves,

This is my gut instinct too.

Random story: I have been trying to persuade a friend to start contributing
to OSM. Unfortunately he had a bad experience with Wikipedia - his edits
were reverted by a user that waved a policy in his face - and he fears the
same if he joins OSM.

I'd like us to provide more support to all people who edit OSM rather than
create a load of policies that are (to new people) effectively hidden on
the wiki but we can wave at them when something is not quite right.

Having said that, there is good stuff here so "scrap it and start again" is
not needed. Instead we should keep sharing comments and ideas and seek the
advise of some of the groups already mentioned (HOT, advisory board, local
communities etc).

Worth also keeping in mind that it is always easier to add more to a policy
in the future than the opposite (removing bits from a policy). "Evolution,
rather than Revolution", if you like to play it safe when introducing
something new.

Best regards,
Rob