[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 13:34:02 UTC 2017

> Lets look at one point:
>

> you have the totally newbie habit to upload every single building you
> trace with your very favourite editor iD
>
> Does this statement contribute to the Board election? Is there a preferred
> editor for Board Members? Does your choice of OSM editor demonstrate your
> organisational leadership qualities? Does your choice of OSM editor dictate
> that you should be spoken to like a child?

I agree that is part of Severin's post seems the least useful, although it
has some sense to write about this habit, as it makes the 300 changesets
less substantial if they only contain 1 building.

Generally, I believe some editing experience and passion for mapping should
be shared by all members of the OpenStreetMap board, so I don't take issuee
with someone pointing at a particularly scarse editing history of one of
the candidates, and in some way, if you only use one editor and have maybe
1-2 edits with some others, this also contributes to the overall picture.

> I don't think this counts as "essential for a functioning democracy". If
> this is the sort of thing candidates can expect, then I don't think we can
> say the OSMF elections is functioning in any meaningful sense at all.

I agree with Rob, if you run for a public office it is natural that people
will look who you are, and might speak up against you if they had made bad
experiences collaborating with you (or on the other hand, stand up and
speak in favor of you). The things Severin wrote were surely not pleasing,
but to me they seemed pertinent in the context. If during 6 years you
edited only on 11 days it is clear you are neither very interested in
mapping in OSM, nor do you have experience with it.

Cheers,
Martin