[Osmf-talk] Candidacy: OSMF Board

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Nov 23 14:16:01 UTC 2017

Am 23.11.2017 um 14:26 schrieb Pete Masters:
> I agree with you, Simon. My viewpoint isn't opposed to Rob's!
>
> Anyone should be able to publicly challenge and question candidates -
> as equally we are able to challenge the premise of those same
> questions. If Sev truly believes that our leaders should have one or
> ten or a hundred thousand changesets to their name, that's fine. I
> don't have to agree and I can respond as such.
Actually this seems to be the time honoured deflection tactic that we've
seem so often on this list: focus on the form (undoubtedly some of the
adjectives used could have been chosen better), minor details and then
start mincing words around that to move focus from the actual issue at hand,

It should, IMHO, be left to the reader to gauge what is relevant to the
discussion, and have confidence that they will ignore any irrelevant and
superficial information. I don't think you'll find many that consider
the editor used to contribute to OSM a particularly important piece of
information.

> My point is that the language Sev uses is disrespectful, personal and
> hurtful. That's not ok in my book.... Firstly, for Heather - no-one
> should have to read that. And secondly, because this
> hostility /discourages/ debate and divides community.

I don't think we can expect everybody to put their criticism in a
sandwich
(https://dmh.mo.gov/dd/docs/tieredsupportsummarythesandwichmethod.pdf)
just to make it more palatable to the recipient, and, as has already
been said, its an election, the nature of the thing is that it is about
personal qualifications.

Simon