[Osmf-talk] Paying Board/WG was: Standing for board election

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Nov 25 20:48:44 UTC 2017

There are all kinds of issues that would have to be thought through if
you wanted to keep the volunteer aspect of the OSMF WGs, but I suspect
that essentially everything time consuming would need to then be done by
paid staff regardless of how things are organised.

Further I don't quite believe that bit with that it is easy to get,
non-trivial, sums for operations.  I simply doubt that there is a big
interest in subsidizing M., TeleNav and all of the smaller players by
philanthropic funders (why not HERE, Tomtom and google then?). So we
will likely need to turn to the organisations using our data which I
doubt will be so easy. Essentially there is one other org, the WMF, that
is similar and they killed off their competition early on, removing the
market forces we are subject to.

The other issue is that you create a powerful further stake holder in
the project, the employees (see, again, the WMF), which might have
unexpected consequences.

Simon