[Osmf-talk] Paying Board/WG was: Standing for board election

Michelle Taylor chessypig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 07:32:37 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I am one of the new members from the Membership Drive and have been
watching this with interest.

I am mostly an OSM user and not even a mapper; I have made a couple of tiny
individual contributions to my area (Cambridge UK) when I saw some things
were wrong / incomplete.

I decided to become a member because I use OSM a lot for planning walks and
felt like I should give something back when I saw the membership drive ad
on the site.

I am quietly impressed with all the other work that clearly goes on here,
especially the humanitarian mapping work, but it's not really directly
relevant to me.

I have noticed something the site has had trouble loading every tile
correctly on occasion lately, which is relevant to me (and affected my
enthusiastic recommendation of the map to friends, as they were a bit put
off by that happening). It seems to have resolved itself now though. I
wasn't sure where the correct place to report this kind of thing is - but I
haven't looked extensively at the wiki.

Being able to easily get downloaded map segments or otherwise have an app
for better performance in low signal areas is my other concern. But I kind
of feel churlish even mentioning these things as I really am just here to
give back a little to your amazing free service - I just wanted to provide
you with an anecdote of what the concerns of at least one of your
membership drive new members are.

I will go and lurk in the corner in embarrassment again now...