[Osmf-talk] Paying Board/WG was: Standing for board election

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 20:34:57 UTC 2017

I sometimes hold back sharing something because the idea in OSM seems to be
'doing gives you a voice' and I'm a bit reluctant telling other volunteers
what I think they should do. Election time seems to be when our opinion is
asked/welcome without commitment to a working group. I see now that's
incorrect of me to assume but I bet there are others with a similar
sentiment.

On-topic:

It's useful to have payed help, at open knowledge Belgium (umbrella of OSM
Belgium) we have one payed employee and it helps *a lot* to have someone
who understands what the organization is about and who can represent us
when volunteers can't/won't. Someone who actively looks for opportunities
and ideas to improve/promote ourselves and also takes on operational work
to manage day-to-day things. Sometimes there is temporary extra help to
help with event organizing and project-specifics. The direction and vision
is set by the board...

It does put some pressure on the board to make sure we fund ourselves for
the next year. It is important to think about how we're going to fund this,
having a person depending on you for her/his job is also a big
responsibility and an extra burden. Something to keep in mind, but it
shouldn't hold us back from moving forward with something like this.

Not saying this is thé way to go for the OSMF just sharing my experience.

Cheers,
Ben