[Osmf-talk] Gender in OSM/OSMF

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 20:49:20 UTC 2017

Thanks everyone for a really productive discussion. There are so many
examples of leaders around the world from those who posted here and to all
of you who don't post on mailing lists. It is exciting to read about the
activities in Nepal and LatAm. I recently read about a map training for
women lead by the community in Indonesia as well. I know that HOT, Missing
Maps, and  YouthMappers have a higher percentage of women contributors.
Step by step.

There are a few potential actions from what we have written so far:

-community work plan on gender inclusion
-sharing more examples of mapathons and activities that encourage
women/genders
-documenting some of the best practices to engage all genders
-creating a safe and collaborative space
-having a plan about gender neutral mapping. How can we actively focus
mapping on places that women use
-find a way to assess metrics - are we improving engagement? - while
respecting privacy

What other items would you add?

Thank you,

Heather